19 Nov 2022

Fallen Hero's / Torn 02 / 33d ARRS / HH-3E

14 March 1989
Torn 02
33d ARRS
HH-3E # 67-14719

The HH-3E crashed near Lye Island into the sea, with the loss of three crew. The accident would have claimed all five crews lives, however FE Elid Torres placed chem lights marking the exit/entrance in case of a water egress was needed. There were two survivors who credited their lives to the actions of MSgt Torres with marking of the doors with lights helping their escape of the sinking helicopter. Just to note, the new HH-60W that has come into USAF service has chem-lights already installed from the factory.

Torn 02 Crew

Pilot
Capt. Tom Bauer

Co-Pilot
Capt. Michael A. Hodges

 Flight Engineer
MSgt. Eliud Torres
A huge thanks to the 33d Rescue Squadron for the information and pictures for this small tribute, always brilliant whatever they do.

If you have any additional information about this patch or anything to add, for example, photos or stories, please contact me at
usafjollygreen@gmail.com 
I will get back to you.
Thanks👣
 
 

4 comments:

  1. I can remember telling Capt. Bauer, "I'll see you tomorrow. I worked in the budget office with him. That was a sad day. Capt. Hodges TSgt Torres were good men. Man that was a sad day. Will never forget. R I P brothers. TOML

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very hard time…😞👣

    ReplyDelete
  3. I signed off most of the red X's for extensive maintenance prior to this flight. MSgt. Eliud Torres gave me and several of my troops an engine run recertification prior to the flight. This haunts me to this day and governs all decisions I make regarding to safety of flight. RIP Brothers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. RIP Tom, Mike and Eliud. Bob Y

    ReplyDelete